Please note: all timings are listed in EDT, to view start times in your local timezone, please click here.
Join us in person or virtually
Breakfast and registration
ModeratorNhat NguyenChief Analyst, Chemical Watch
- Session four: A Global view of Food Contact Regulations
Regulatory developments for FCMs in China
Marco ZhongDirector, National reference laboratory for food contact materials (Guangdong), IQTC, China
- Latest amendments for regulations on FCMs in China; and
- The discussions on application of food grade rPET in China
Developments for FCMs in ASEAN countries
Nick ChengManager – Food Contact materials, Business Stream Products, Asia Pacific and Greater China Region, TUV Rheinland Japan Ltd.
- FCM regulatory overview and latest development in ASEAN Countries; and
- Strategy of compliance gap analysis
Developments for FCMs in India
Reynold D'SouzaSenior Consultant, Global Product Compliance (GPC) Group
- Food framework law;
- Food safety standards authority of India;
- Bureau of Indian standards; and
- Practical compliance for coatings and for printing inks.
Break and Refreshments
Retail action on PFAS in food packaging
Mike SchadeDirector, Mind the Store, Toxic-Free Future, United States
- Evidence of PFAS in food packaging at major retailers;
- The retail market movement away from PFAS in FCM's; and
- Policy recommendations for retailers to address PFAS in FCM's.
MERCOSUR’s Food Contact Legislation
Vendelino NetoRegulatory Affairs Specialist, TNS Nano
- Mercosur food contact regulations and national competent authorities equivalencies;
- overview on restrictions, prohibitions and compliance requirements for FCMs;
- regulation of additives for polymeric, cellulosic and other FCMs in the Mercosur.
An Introduction to European food packaging controls: What’s harmonised and what’s not
Bernard HegartyDirector, Enforcement Policy, Food Safety Authority of Ireland
- Review of the European Union legislation on food contact materials
- Focus on the specific laws on plastics in the EU, including the authorisation process
- Likely future developments and harmonisation of the legislation
Lunch and networking
Grow your knowledge, your network, and your voice with the Chemical Watch Professional Development membership
Presentation and sneak peek of the Professional Development membership platform which provides year-round access to Chemical Watch's world-leading events and training programme – for your whole organisation.Greg Harrop-GriffithsInternational Business Development Manager, Chemical Watch
ModeratorMelanie RybarRegulatory and Compliance Analyst, Chemical Watch
- Session five: Sustainability related issues
Establishing FDA status for recycled plastics in food packaging
This session will review three aspects of plastic recycling in U.S:
Martha E. MarrapesePartner, Wiley Rein LLP, USA
- Infrastructure funding and growth opportunities;
- How to obtain a letter of no objection from FDA to use recycled content in food packaging; and
- Current practices and litigation trends related to recycling claims and advertising.
Food contact materials containing recycled materials: regulatory implications and industry processes for assessing acceptability
Maryann SandersTechnical Director – Product Stewardship, ERM, USA
- The rationale and roadblocks associated with recycled food contact materials;
- How various current and proposed US Federal and State laws regulations address some key potential concerns with recycled materials; and
- The safety and quality of recycled materials in food contact application and plastic waste minimisation.
Challenges to Industry – Sustainability, Single-Use Plastics Limitations, and Recycling Mandates
Kathryn C. SkaggsPartner, Keller and Heckman LLP
- Addressing sustainability through extended producer responsibility schemes;
- State and local single-use plastics restrictions of varying scope and effect;
- Minimum recycled resin content requirements and proposals; and
- Regulation of sustainability-related claims (compostable, recyclable).
Close of conference