Please note: Timings are in Eastern Daylight Time (UTC-4)
- Session 1 Regulatory developments in North America
Welcome – Chemical Watch
ModeratorTerry HylandSenior Editor, North America, Chemical Watch
Keynote Michal Freedhoff
Michal Ilana FreedhoffAssistant Administrator for OCSPP, Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention, EPA
- Assistant Administrator Freedhoff will discuss the progress EPA has made since January 2021 in improving the implementation of TSCA. She will also preview the major regulatory and other actions for TSCA implementation coming up for the rest of this year and the beginning of next year.
- TSCA Updates
Initial 10 High Priority TSCA risk evaluations
TSCA risk evaluations
Risk Management ProposalLynn L. BergesonManaging Partner, Bergeson & Campbell, United States
Addressing Articles in TSCA
Bob SussmanCounsel, Safer Chemicals Healthy Families, and Principal, Sussman and Associates, United States
- The growing importance of “articles” in EPA’s evolving programs under TSCA,
- An overview of TSCA requirements that apply to articles,
- Practical challenges for the regulated community
- Examples of recent EPA actions affecting articles and their implications
Navigating the Changing New Chemical Review Process: Strategies and Lessons Learned
Alexandra Dapolito DunnPartner, Baker Botts
- The process for the U.S. EPA’s review of new chemical premanufacture notices is rapidly changing.
- This session will cover developments in EPA’s new chemical review process, policies, and practices by EPA.
- This session will help companies know what to expect as they engage in the review process
Data Reporting and Evaluation Under TSCA for Existing Chemicals
Kimberly Wise WhiteVice President, Regulatory and Scientific Affairs, American Chemistry Council (ACC)
- TSCA Section 8(d) and 8(a), Scoping and Best Available Data
- TSCA Section 4 Test Orders and Tiered Testing Framework
- Manufacturer Requested Risk Evaluations, Policies and Guidance
New CBI Rules
Confidential Business Information (CBI) is critical to most companies. In this session, we will discuss the proposed law that revises most CBI requirements under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA).
Rose PassarellaDirector - Chemicals, Intertek
- Assertion and Substantiation claims: The 2016 amendment add these requirements. The proposed rule strengthens these and adds them to other parts of the TSCA.
- Masking chemical names: The proposed rule narrows the ability to mask multiple structural elements.
- Heath and Safety Studies: The rules concerning these are also narrowed.
Unlock the full value of your compliance and product stewardship with Chemical Watch
Discover the full range of Chemical Watch solutions and get your questions answered at this service presentation and platform demo.Ryan McErleanGlobal Head of Marketing, Chemical Watch
- Other Hot Topics
Emerging State Regulatory Trends
Nhat NguyenChief Analyst, Enhesa ProductCarolyn HansonDeputy Executive Director, Environmental Council of the States
- Chemical restrictions in various products including cosmetic, packaging, textile, and other consumer and industrial products
- Other regulatory issues relating to cosmetic
- Extended producer responsibilities for batteries, packaging products, textile
- “Advanced recycling” - the conversion of post-use polymers and recovered feedstocks into basic hydrocarbon raw materials, feedstocks, chemicals, and other products through pyrolysis, gasification, depolymerization, catalytic cracking, hydrogenation, solvolysis, etc.
Jean-Philippe MontfortPartner, Mayer Brown Europe-Brussels LLPJonathan GledhillPresident, Policy Navigation GroupRobert J. SimonVice President, Chemical Products & Technology Divisions, American Chemistry CouncilStephanie GriffinOffice of Pollution Prevention and Toxics, US EPA
- An overview of major Federal/US state PFAS regulations/policies in the order of their relative impact
- PFAS under the EU CSS
- Latest regulatory developments on PFAS in the EU
- Related key regulatory issues: Grouping, P-sufficiency
- Essential uses debate and impact on PFAS
- An overview/update of EPA’s proposed TSCA 8(a)(7) PFAS data reporting rule
Ingredient transparency and transparency in the supply chain
- Overview of existing US state ingredient transparency requirements for household consumer goods;
- Helping consumers advance from their right-to-know to an understanding of disclosed ingredient information; and
- The importance of supply chain communication to enable consumer understanding.
Julie FroelicherSenior Director of North America Regulatory & Technical Relations, The Procter & Gamble CompanyJennifer HaggertyPrincipal Consultant, Anthesis GroupAnna GrossPrincipal Consultant, Product Sustainability, Anthesis LLC
- Voluntary transparency strategy setting as a replacement for lack of consistent regulation;
- Challenges of transparency in the supply chain; and
- Product credentialing and storytelling.
- Regulatory Updates in Latin America
An overview of regulatory trends in Latin America
Robert GuitteauRegulatory Analyst, 3E
- Discuss current status of GHS regulations
- Chemical management schemes
- The upcoming development to MERCOSUR Dangerous Goods Transport regulations
- Other recent developments.
Regulatory Scenario in Latin America - An Industry Perspective
Lidiane MoraesLAMex Senior Product Stewardship & Regulatory Affairs Advisor, ExxonMobil
- Overview on the Chemical Management Regulations in the LA Region
- Practical Challenges for Industry
- Latin America Regulatory Cooperation Forum
- Take Away messages
Close of day one and cocktail reception