Understanding the US EPA TSCA Section 5 review process and application of predictive models
The passage of the Frank R. Lautenberg Chemical Safety for the 21st Century Act in 2016 had a profound impact on the US New Chemicals Program.
This workshop will highlight important changes in the new chemical program and provide technical training on the risk assessment process, building upon training material originally developed under the US EPA Sustainable Futures program.
During this hands-on workshop, you will learn the methods and models to conduct a preliminary risk assessment before submitting new chemical notifications to the US EPA, so you can better anticipate regulatory concerns and identify critical outcomes.
The speakers will highlight useful notification strategies and demonstrate tools to help you identify risk-prone activities, support targeted testing strategies and potentially reduce the Agency review time by decreasing the need for back-and-forth communication during the notification period.
The workshop includes in-depth presentations on hazard, exposure and risk screening to address ecological and human health concerns, with hands-on sessions with US EPA and OECD computer-based models.
Over the 2.5 days, topics to be covered include US EPA and OECD approaches for:
- Determining important physical-chemical properties of a substance along with methods to identify environmental attributes of concern;
- Creating a screening-level hazard assessment for human health and primary environmental media with a focus on principles for analogue analysis and read across to fill data gaps; and
- Modelling industrial operations including manufacturing, processing, commercial and consumer use activities, and the potential environmental release and human exposure from those activities.
Who should attend?
The course material is designed for attendees of all scientific and regulatory backgrounds with varying expertise levels. The workshop is suitable for:
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- EHS professionals
- Product Stewards
- Scientific Officers
- Environmental/Sustainability Specialists
- Regulatory Compliance Officers
- Product Managers
- Regulatory Evaluation Specialists
- Chemical Engineers
- Anyone working with TSCA
Join in the conversation online: #TSCAWorkshop